Engineering in West Bengal
Updated on Mar 18, 2013 - 10:10 a.m. IST by Team Careers360

Fast Facts

 

‘Gateway to the East’ as the State is popularly known is often remembered for pioneers in engineering. IIT Kharagpur, the first IIT, established in 1951, stands tall with the highest number of seats (1341) amongst other IITs and also the largest campus of 2100 acres! Efforts to introduce engineering education in the eastern part of the country had started way back in 1843-44 when the Council of Education, Bengal decided to open a civil engineering class, yet it took more than a decade to establish a Civil Engineering College at the Writer’s Building, Calcutta in 1856. After the establishment of Calcutta University, a faculty of civil engineering was formed in 1857 which in 1879, shifted to its new premises at Sibpur. In Bengal, the National Council of Education established the College of Engineering and Technology at Jadavpur, which started granting diplomas in mechanical (1908) and chemical engineering (1921). MERI Kolkata offers 246 seats in B.Tech (Marine Engineering).

Among the 83 institutes associated with JEM, most of student intake (75%) is in five disciplines: Electronics and Communication (6,444); Computer Science (5,916), Electrical engineering (4,406), Information Technology (3,912) and Mechanical Engineering (3,205). Two other disciplines that have a fair number of seats are Civil Engineering and Instrumentation & Control with 9% and 7% of the total intake. Electrical & Electronics and Chemical Engineering have 900 and 550 seats respectively. Other disciplines have less than 300 seats in the State and that includes Textiles, Biotechnology, Automobile, Mining, Food Technology, Production, Biomedical, Metallurgy, Aerospace, Industrial Engineering, Ceramics and Agriculture Engineering.

 

Admission Procedure

In order to take the exam the candidate must be citizen of India and must have secured 50% marks (40% marks for Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe) at 10+2 level. The candidate must pass 10+2 from West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education or equivalent.

JEM consists of three sections namely Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. The paper gets conducted in two sessions one mathematics which is of 100 marks and second of Physics & Chemistry with 50marks each. The mhultiple answer questions(MCQs) carry 80% weightage and remaining 20% is short answer type. With each incorrect response 33.3% marks get deducted.

There is a provision for reservation of 12 seats in all for Defence Quota in selected Institutions. Reservation to an extent of 10% is also available for students merit listed in All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) in all existing self financing colleges. Maximum 10% seats are further reserved for management quota.

 

Top Engineering Disciplines in West Bengal

Seat distribution amongst the various Prominent Engineering Branches in West Bengal

 

2Q==

 

ME: Mechanical

EEE: Electrical & Electronics

CE: Civil

ECE: Electronics & Communication

CSE: Computer Science

IT: Information Technology

EL: Electrical

OT: Others

 

 

 

Applications Open Now

UPES -  School of Engineering B.Tech Admissions 2020
UPES - School of Engineering...
Apply
SRMJEEE 2020
SRMJEEE 2020
Apply
MANIPAL Institute Of Technology B.Tech Admissions 2020
MANIPAL Institute Of Technolo...
Apply
UPES M.Tech Admissions 2020
UPES M.Tech Admissions 2020
Apply
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham B.Tech Admissions 2020
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham B....
Apply
VITEEE 2020 - VIT Engineering Entrance Examination
VITEEE 2020 - VIT Engineering...
Apply
Lovely Professional University B.Tech Admissions 2020
Lovely Professional Universit...
Apply
View All Application Forms
Top
The question have been saved in answer later, you can access it from your profile anytime. Access now

Download the Careers360 App on your Android phone

Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile

Careers360 App
150M+ Students
24,000+ Colleges
500+ Exams
1500+ E-books