GATE Syllabus 2018 - The syllabus of GATE 2018 is based on the disciplines studied in the qualifying examination. IIT Guwahati has specified the GATE 2018 syllabus according to the 23 papers that will be conducted for admissions to the M.Tech programmes. The GATE syllabus 2018 is similar to the previous year. The national level PG engineering entrance exam will be conducted on February 3 & 4 and February 10 & 11, 2018. Candidates must check the GATE 2018 syllabus for the paper that they will be appearing for. The syllabus of GATE 2018 specifies all the topics candidates need to study to qualify in the entrance exam. Candidates can check the given links to download the GATE syllabus 2018 for their respective disciplines and use the same to prioritize as well as schedule their preparation.
Candidates are expected to appear in a GATE paper appropriate to their discipline of their qualifying degree. However, candidates are free to choose any one of the GATE papers as per their admission, while they must check the eligibility criteria of the M.Tech programme where they avail admissions.
- Identify and improve on your weak areas
- Get a personalized improvement plan & track your progress
- Get a list of probable colleges based on current preparation level
GATE 2018 Syllabus - Paper wise
The syllabus for General Aptitude (common section for all the papers) and Engineering Mathematics (mandatory section for all papers except GG & XL) is given along with the GATE 2018 syllabus of each respective paper. The syllabus for each of the 23 GATE papers can be downloaded by clicking on the given link below in the table. Make sure that you go through the GATE syllabus 2018 to know the topics and subtopics that need to be covered in each paper, especially in XE and XL.
GATE Syllabus for 23 Papers
General Aptitude (GA) - Compulsory paper (Common Section in all Paper)
Civil Engineering (CE)
Chemical Engineering (CH)
Ecology and Evolution (EY)
Geology and Geophysics (GG)
Mining Engineering (MN)
Engineering Sciences Syllabus (XE) - Any 2 optional setions
Engineering Mathematics (XE A) – Compulsory section
Fluid Mechanics (XE B)
Material Science (XE C)
Solid Mechanics (XE D)
Thermodynamics (XE E)
Polymer Science & Engineering (XE F)
Food Technology (XE G)
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (XE H)
Life Sciences (XL) - Any 2 optional sections
Chemistry (XL P) - Compulsory section
Biochemistry (XL Q)
Botany (XL R)
Microbiology (XL S)
Zoology (XL T)
Food Technology (XL U)
Note: The GATE 2018 syllabus for Aerospace Engineering has been divided into 2 categories – Core Topics & Special Topics. The corresponding sections of the question paper will contain 90% of the questions on Core Topics and the remaining 10% questions on Special Topics.
To Check and Download GATE 2017 Syllabus Paper wise - Click here
To Check and Download GATE 2016 Syllabus Paper wise - Click here
FAQs on GATE Syllabus 2018
Q. Is there any change in the GATE 2018 syllabus for any of the papers?
Ans: No. There are no changes.
Q. Is there any new topic added in the GATE paper?
Ans: No. There is no new topic added in any paper. Candidates must check the syllabus carefully before preparation as the standard books will be based on the previous GATE syllabus.
GATE Exam Pattern 2018
While checking the syllabus of GATE 2018, it is advisable for candidates to understand the GATE 2018 exam pattern to know how the paper will be set and the marking scheme. IIT Guwahati will hold GATE 2018 in the online mode in English. The total questions asked in all the GATE papers will be 65 carrying a total of 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying a total of 15 marks will be asked from General Aptitude (GA). The duration of the GATE paper is 3 hours.
Paper codes CE, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, AE, AG, BT, CH, MN, MT, TF, XE PE and PI will have the following pattern:
General Aptitude (GA) – 15%
Engineering Mathematics – 15%
Subject of the Paper – 70%
Paper codes AR, CY, EY, XL, GG, MA and PH will have the following pattern:
General Aptitude (GA) – 15%
Subject of the Paper – 85%
There are 2 types of questions that are asked in GATE - Multiple choice questions (MCQs) and numerical answer type (NAT) questions. Candidates must understand that there is negative marking for the MCQs while the NAT questions don't have any negative marking. Negative marking in the question paper will be 1/3rd marks for a 1 mark question while it will be 2/3rd marks for a 2 mark question.
CS, CY, EC,
EE, AE, AR, AG,
BT, EY, GG,
IN, MA, ME, PH, PI, TF,
MN, MT, PE
XE (Section A +
any two sections)
XL (Section P +
any two sections)
Year-wise Statistics of GATE (2006-2016)
Stay tuned to engineering.careers360.com for more news and information on GATE syllabus.
Get real-time alerts on exam & colleges at your fingertips with Careers360 App! Click Here to Install or Give a missed call on 08080944727 to get app link.