Your browser does not support iframes.
Engineering Entrance Exams for NIOS candidates - A lot of students in the country pursue their schooling through the National Institute of Open Schooling also called as NIOS. What makes them special is the lack of regular schooling in the traditional sense. Over the years, Careers360 has received many queries, calls about the eligibility of students passing out from NIOS for the engineering and technical programmes. This article lists out the various aspects of the National Institute of Open Schooling and also the engineering entrance exams for NIOS candidates. We have looked at major engineering entrance exams that are mostly attempted by many candidates across the country with the eligibility of NIOS candidates for the same. The list of engineering entrance exams for NIOS candidates has then been compiled with details of the eligibility as mentioned in the official brochures or through the admission offices of the respective universities.
All about NIOS
Special Accredited Institutions namely Education of the Disadvantaged (SAIED) have been set up to cater to the needs of physically and mentally challenged people, socially and geographically isolated, and disadvantaged sections of society such as street children, working children, rural women and SC/ST.
Self-Learning packages inclusive of printed material, audio and video programmes are given to the enrolled students.
Practical Training Programmes (PTPs) are conducted regularly at the AVIs/SAIEDs.
Candidates can attempt the public xxaminations twice a year – April/ May and October/November.
Live Personal Contact (PCP) through Mukta Vidya Vani, a web based radio streaming programme where Students can ask questions
Salient Features of NIOS
No Upper Age Limit: There is no upper age limit however, the minimum age for enrolment in Secondary Courses and for Vocational Courses is 14 years while for Senior Secondary Courses it is 15 years and 16 &18 years for some selected courses.
Medium of Instructions: Courses are offered in Hindi, English, and Urdu mediums. Students may, however, write the examinations in any Indian language they wish to.
Choice of Subjects: Students can choose any subject combination from the subjects offered
Combination of Academic and Vocational Subjects: One stand-alone vocational subject can be combined with academic courses at Secondary level and Senior Secondary level.
Validity of Registration: The course can be completed in a maximum period of five years from the year of registration.
Re-admission: Ex-students who have completed their validity period of five years without completing the course are eligible to take Re-admission.
Flexibility in Examination: A maximum of nine chances to appear in the public examinations within five years.
Credit Accumulation: Candidates can appear in any one or more subjects in an examination and earn credit till all the subject(s) required for certification are successfully completed.
Transfer of Credit: Candidates may transfer their pass credits maximum of two subjects from CBSE and other selected Boards in the academic courses under this scheme for the purpose of qualifying.
Engineering Entrance Exams for NIOS Candidates
Candidates wishing to pursue engineering are eligible for some engineering entrance exams. The list of the engineering entrance exams for NIOS candidates is listed below.
Name of Entrance Exam
Are NIOS Candidates eligible?
Eligibility for Engineering Entrance Exams for NIOS Candidates – This is one of the frequently asked questions by many students pursuing their studies through NIOS. The eligibility criteria specified for all the engineering entrance exams for NIOS candidates is detailed exam wise below
1. JEE Main 2018 – Candidates can check the list of open schools recognized for JEE Main before applying.
Open Schools recognized and allowed for JEE Main are as follows
Haryana Open School, Bhiwani
Rajasthan State Open School, Jaipur
M P State Open School, Bhopal
Andhra Pradesh Open School Society
Bihar Board Of Open Schooling Examination
Chhattisgarh State Open School
Telangana Pradesh Open School Society
West Bengal Council Of Rabindra Open Schooling
Assam State Open School
Open Schools recognized by AIU (Association of Indian Universities) in addition to the above
J&K State Open School, Srinagar
Karnataka Open School, J.S.S. Maha Vidya Peeth, Mysore
Kerala State Open School, Thiruvananthapuram
Rabindra Mukta Vidyalaya (W.B. State Open School)
National Institute of Open Schooling (formerly National Open School), New Delhi
Note: The JEE Main brochure specifies, ” Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU)”.
2. JEE Advanced 2018– Candidates who have qualified in JEE Main for JEE Advanced and need to further apply further for the same can check the stand by IITs on NIOS. The brochure says, “NIOS candidates can appear for JEE Advanced as the qualifying exam from any Public School, Board or University examination in India recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the AIU is accepted”.
3. BITSAT 2018– NIOS candidates are eligible to appear for BITSAT and thereafter admissions to B.E programmes offered at the BITS campuses. NIOS candidates are also required to score 75% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics/Biology and score 60% marks individually in each subject.
4. VITEEE 2018– The University allows NIOS candidates to appear for the entrance exam and offers admissions if they qualify. They are also required to have scored an aggregate of 60% in Maths, Physics and Chemistry in their qualifying exam.
5. Manipal Entrance Exam (MU OET) – Candidates who have completed their class 12 from NIOS are eligible to appear for the Manipal Entrance exam. They must have passed the exam with a minimum of 50% marks taken together in Physics, Mathematics and any one of the optional subjects - Chemistry or Biotechnology or Biology or any technical vocational subjects.
6. SRMJEEE 2018– NIOS candidates can appear for SRMJEEE if they have studied Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics / Biology / Botany & Zoology / Biotechnology as major subjects and have scored a minimum of 50% in aggregate.
However candidates who have completed both class X and class XII through NIOS will not be eligible to appear for the entrance exam or admissions.
7. AEEE 2018– Amrita University does not allow NIOS candidates to appear for the entrance test or admissions.
8. COMEDK UGET 2018 – NIOS candidates can apply for this entrance exam that is an entry to seats at more than 150 private colleges in Karnataka. The eligibility is the same as the regular candidates.
Apart from engineering exams, architecture is a major stream with two major exams namely NATA & JEE Main Paper II that are taken up by students every year. JEE Main Paper II criteria regarding the qualifying exam are the same as Paper I. NATA also allows NIOS candidates to appear for the entrance test.
JEE Main Candidate Login 2020 can be used to check various events related to the examination such...
IIT Guwahati Fee Structure - Students who have been allotted a seat in IIT Guwahati can get infor...
IT Madras Fee Structure - The IIT Madras fees combines both refundable and non-refundable charges...
IIT Kharagpur Fee Structure - IIT Kharagpur has a very simple fee structure. Students seeking adm...
IIT Roorkee Fee Structure - The detailed information about the Fee structure of IIT Roorkee is di...
Hi Adnan,It completely comes to what do u believe you can achieve, definitely it won't be an easy task but totally reachable. Right amount of dedic...
Hello sai,Its all upto you whether you wana continue with your current college or you want to apppear for jee mains.But as you have already attempt...
Hello JEE Aspirants!
Organic chemistry is the most
interesting subject in IIT JEE.
It holds 30- 40 percent syllabus of Chemistry.
It is the subje...
Hello JEE Aspirants!
Chemistry is the subjects which needs revision on regular basis. To master the
subject, you must understand the con...
As you ask here the syllabus of Physics and Chemistry for JEE main 2020 to know about the syllabus of JEE main 2020 click here:
Your JEE Main brochure has been successfully mailed to your registered email id .
Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile