Your browser does not support iframes.
Gaurav Didwania has not stopped celebrating ever since he got his JEE Advanced 2016 result. And why should he? The topper from Jaipur has scored an incredible 292 to be ranked on the 9th position among the top 10 scorers of JEE Advanced 2016. Gaurav, who plans to study Computer Science from IIT Bombay, believes that his parents’ positive support helped him in a big way to crack what is known to be the toughest undergraduate entrance exam in the country. When asked about his preparation strategy, Gaurav revealed that he strictly followed the rule of having no fixed schedule and gave maximum 5-6 hours to his studies regularly. But what this topper did understand perfectly was how to channelise his strengths and weaknesses smartly.
In this interview with Careers360, Gaurav Didwania shares his simple yet effective preparation strategy and how an active support system of parents and teachers helped him crack JEE Advanced 2016.
Read the full interview below:
Careers360: Congratulations on your outstanding performance in JEE Advanced 2016! Are you surprised?
Gaurav Didwania: Thank you so much! It’s a fantastic feeling. Yes, I am a bit surprised. I thought I would be among the top 50 but being in the top 10 list was a surprise and a very good one indeed. I have been celebrating with my family ever since I got my scores.
Careers360: That’s great! How are your parents reacting to your result?
Gaurav Didwania: They seem to be very happy, of course. My family has been very supportive throughout this time. They have motivated me in every step. What helped me was that while they had expectations from me, they channelised it in positive way. Best part was that they gave me my space. There was no interference. They let me prepare at my own pace and style. Of course, there was a little pressure but I think without pressure it is difficult to crack an exam such as JEE.
Careers360: Talking about cracking the exam, how much have you scored? What about your Mains score?
Gaurav Didwania: My score in JEE Advanced is 292 while that for Mains was 304.
Careers360: You have scored incredibly well in both the tests. Tell us how did you prepare for JEE? Was there any particular strategy that helped you?
Gaurav Didwania: Honestly, I did not have any specific strategy in mind but yes, I did go about my preparation smartly. Physics has always been my strong suit so I focused on it so that I can solve any question that comes in this section. While Chemistry required some attention, in Maths, I took up topics that I was comfortable with and were relevant as I knew there was no point trying to attempt questions and topics that were too hard. Moreover, I did not have any specific schedule. I hardly studied for 5-6 hours a day and the best part was that I studied according to my mood!
During my exam, too, my priorities were same. I was confident in Physics and Chemistry so I attempted them first and did not waste much time in questions that I could not solve in Mathematics. The idea was to make sure that I got the correct answer for whichever question I was attempting rather than losing points in questions that I unsure of.
Careers360: Do you think coaching is necessary to crack JEE Advanced exam?
Gaurav Didwania: I would say yes. Coaching becomes important if you want to clear an exam like JEE. It is not that you cannot study yourself. In fact, self-study is most important. However, you need guidance and a direction for these kinds of exam which schools do not necessarily prepare you for. Not just coaching, mock tests are also very important if you want to crack JEE. There is no point of just preparing and not testing your skills in an actual time bound environment.
Also, in coaching classes you are exposed to a very competitive friend circle who help you to understand where you stand.
Careers360: So did your friend's circle influence your preparation?
Gaurav Didwania: Yes, they definitely did. Having a good peer group always helps. You get a group of people who are working in the same direction which ultimately enhances your sense of competition. Also, you don't always go to a teacher to clarify your doubts. It helps to have friends who can help you in such instances.
Careers360: What now? Do you have any institute in mind? What about your preferred branch?
Gaurav Didwania: Yes. I want to join IIT, Bombay. I want to be part of the Computer Science department.
Careers360: Why do you want to pursue Computer Science?
Gaurav Didwania: First, my seniors tell me there’s a lot of scope in this field. Even otherwise, Computer Science has become an inevitable branch of study in every field. Besides, I enjoy programming and want to learn about it in-depth. There are many research opportunities available in this field, too. So, why not Computer Science?
I have not really thought beyond IIT right now. I might have a plan now but I could change it later. So, currently my plan is to pursue the programme. I will decide my future course of action during my studies.
Careers360: Enough about studies now! Tell us about your life beyond JEE.
Gaurav Didwania: I am basically from Jaipur and have cleared my 12th from the Cambridge Court High School. I enjoy sports, specifically, cricket like every boy in India! Besides that I spent most of my time watching movies. I am a movie buff. In fact, now that I a free I plan to watch many of the movies that I have missing out on for the last few months.
Careers360: Wow! Movies sound interesting. What’s in your favorite category?
Gaurav Didwania: My category is diverse. I will watch any movie that I enjoy. There is no particular genre that I enjoy. However, I am big fan of the Harry Potter series!
Know JEE Advanced 2016 Toppers
JEE Advanced 2016 Topper (AIR 1) Interview: Aman Bansal scores 320/372; attributes success to his passion for engineering
Stay tuned to engineering.careers360.com for more news and updates on JEE Advanced 2016.
RGIPT will conduct RGIPT B.Tech 2020 admission process. The application form of RGIPT B.Tech 2020...
IIT Delhi will conduct JEE Advanced 2020 on May 17. Students are provided here the preparation ti...
JEE Advanced 2020 - IIT Delhi will conduct JEE Advanced 2020 on May 17. Know all about JEE Advanc...
JEE Advanced Syllabus 2020 - IIT Delhi will release the detailed syllabus for JEE Advanced 2020 o...
JEE Advanced Result 2020 - Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi will release the JEE Advanc...
1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
2. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
3. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
4. Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bengaluru
5. Jadavpur University, Kolkata
6. Anna University, Chennai
7. University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
8. University of Delhi, New Delhi
9. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham. Coimbatore
10. Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
11. Aligarh Muslim University. Aligarh
12. Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
13. Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
14. Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
15. Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
SRM institute, Haryana
17. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
18. Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
19. Visva Bharati, Kolkata
20. Siksha`O` Anusandhan University, Bhubaneswar
21. Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
22. Bharath Institute of Higher Education & Research, Chennai
23. Osmania University, Hyderabad
24. Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
25. Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
26. Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
27. Gauhati University, Guwahati
28. Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
29. Kerala University, Thiruvananthapuram
30. Tezpur University, Tezpur
31. TATA Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
32. Shanmugha Arts Science Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA), Thanjavur
33. Panjab University, Chandigarh
34. S.R.M Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
35. Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
36. Mysore University, Mysore
37. Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
38. Tamil Nadu Veterinary & Animal Sciences University, Chennai
39. Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai
40. Anand Agricultural University, Anand
41. University of Madras, Chennai
42. Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
43. Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
44. Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
45. Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara University, Mysore
46. Thapar University, Patiala
47. Dr. D. Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune
48. North Eastern Hill University, Shillong
49. Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar
50. Guru Angad Dev Veterinary & Animal Sciences University, Ludhiana
For integrated M.Tech., you can look into:
1. Invertis University, Bareilly
2. Tezpur University, Assam
3. Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
4. Atal Bihari Vajpayee Indian Institute of Information and Technology and Management, Gwalior
Hope this helps. All the best!
if you want to appear jee advance then you have to appear jee main. Without jee main , you can't appear jee advance exam.
as you said you passed your +2 in 2018 which means 2020 is your last chance, you can't appear jee exam any more.
To give jee main 2020 , you have to satisfy the eligibility criteira of the exam.
1. Should have passed +2 in 2018,2019 or those who will pass in year 2020.
2. no age limit but has to satisfy No. 1 condition
3. Only 3 attempts.
if you have appeared jee main before then you it might be atmost 2 attempts as your passed +2 in 2018. so you can appear now. If you registred for january session then you should prepare for it. If you haven't registered then you can register or april session for which the application form will open in Feb end week or March.
prepare accordingly considering all the facts and must satisfying the criterias.
For more details you can visit the NTA official site
Hope it helps!
Your JEE Advanced brochure has been successfully mailed to your registered email id .
The Question containing Inaapropriate or Abusive Words
Question lacks the basic details making it difficult to answer
Topic Tagged to the Question are not relevant to Question
Question drives traffic to external sites for promotional or commercial purposes
The Question is not relevant to User
Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile