Top 10 tips to crack GATE 2019: GATE can be a tricky proposition unless a candidate has all the tricks in his or her bag. For example, at times the student may know the answers to a question but run out of time. This may happen because the candidate has not focussed on time management. At other times, while the candidate does attempt most of the questions, accuracy might go for a toss. The result – a poor score. Even otherwise good candidates sometimes fare poorly, because they panic at the first sign of danger (a difficult question). A national-level entrance exam, GATE is attempted by over 9 lakh candidates for M.Tech admission at the IITs, NITs, and other institutes. GATE scores are also used by many PSUs for recruiting engineering graduates. So, naturally the stakes, and the pressures are very high. Here Careers360 offers top 10 tips to crack GATE 2019 that will help candidates overcome the multitude of problems faced by them during GATE preparation.Latest: GATE 2019 Result announced on March 15
Latest: [Download free Question Papers and Sample Paper of GATE, Click here]
IIT Madras has conducted the GATE 2019 in online mode during February 2, 3, 9 and 10 for 24 papers. A new paper "Statistics" has been announced from this year. The application process of GATE 2019 is over.
10 tips that will help candidates crack GATE 2019
The tips listed below encompass all the elements you need to score well in GATE 2019 starting with getting familiar with the syllabus, to taking mock tests, and do’s and don’ts in the last few days leading up to the exam.
Download Free Sample Paper for GATE
1. Internalize the GATE syllabus: Before diving in, you need to know what is in the pool. So, go through the official syllabus of GATE 2019. It will give you a clear idea regarding the topics you need to study for the entrance exam. General Aptitude (GA) is a mandatory section for all GATE papers. Meanwhile, Engineering Mathematics is compulsory for all papers except (GG & XL). The syllabus has many other key details that would help you streamline your focus.
2. Check the GATE 2019 Exam Pattern: The exam pattern of GATE 2019 will give candidates hints on how they should prepare for the exam. For instance, two types of questions will be asked in GATE 2019: MCQs and numerical answer type (NAT) questions. Also, MCQs carry negative marking, while for NAT questions no marks will be deducted for wrong attempts. All similar points outlined in the exam pattern of GATE 2019 has to be taken special note of. Remember, every extra mark you earn is going to count.
3. Set in place a study plan: Once you know what is in the syllabus and know the exam pattern, next step is to chalk up a study plan. When drawing the plan, ensure that it is actionable. For example, if you make a weekly plan, include only those items you think can be covered or is at least realistic. Or else, it will be less of a plan and more of lofty dreams.
Remember these things when making the plan:
Categorise the topics depending on where you stand: weak, medium, strong
Allot time for each category
Make time for revision of each topic. Indexing the problems you have solved would make life easier.
Make it a habit of taking notes.
Jot down formulas that you find difficult to remember.
Do periodic review of your progress.
4. Get the best book for GATE: GATE 2019will be conducted for 24 papers. Depending on the paper and the syllabus, the candidate must get the best books to prepare for GATE. The text books generally cover most of the GATE syllabus; they are also extensive, which can be time consuming. So, the candidates must check the content in a book before burying themselves into it.
5. Take notes: There are many advantages of taking notes. One when you take notes, you are aware of what you are reading or solving. Second, notes take less time to revise, since they are summary points. Also, they are easy to follow since they are your own language. Third, if you don’t understand your own notes, it may mean your preparation is not up to the task and needs some push. Go back to the text books again, improve the notes. A point will come when the notes will be kind of standalone material for an entire book. If that happens, you can cover much distance in miniscule time. Fourth, it is easier to carry notes along than carry hefty books around. So, even if you are away from home, you needn’t have to be away from your GATE preparation.
6. Focus on speed and accuracy: Speed and accuracy are key elements for success in GATE 2019 and go hand in hand. When solving a problem, see to it that you are picking up speed. One way of increasing speed is clearing concepts and remembering all important formulas. With good speed you can save that extra second, and can assign that time to some other problem. Second, do lots of practice. As for accuracy, the candidate needs to be sharp and pay attention to the task at hand and not waver. Accuracy, like speed, also comes with lots of practice. Doing sample papers and taking mock tests are other effective ways to improve on these fronts.
7. Solve sample papers: Catch as many GATE toppers you may want, and you will find one thing in common. They all practised from GATE sample papers. And there is a reason why it is so. Sample papers allow the candidates to put into practice what they have learned. And since the questions are set in accordance to GATE syllabus and pattern, invariably all the sides are covered. By solving sample papers, candidates can gain valuable insights into the weightage of topics, distribution of marks, and difficulty level of questions. If the candidate is able to solve the sample papers without much effort, it means the candidate is in good shape. Along with sample papers, candidates can also solve previous year’s question papers to see if there are any specific subjects that needs special attention.
8. Get in exam mode through Mock Tests: Once you have studied the texts, done the revision, and solved enough problems, it is time to take mock tests. As the name suggests, GATE mock tests are not the real thing, but yet contains all the drama the test entails. For example, mock tests can be taken online, is time-bound and there is also an electronic calculator involved like the one offered in GATE test. By taking mock tests, candidates can learn time management skills and also figure out areas where silly mistakes are made.
9. Revision makes a candidate perfect: With enough revision, candidates can acquire new skill sets and make them their second nature. Also, when reading or practising, the thrust must be to build one’s own repertoire of tricks and shortcuts. This way learning and revision both can become easier. For revision, the candidate must have a proper schedule and plan, so that things never go out of hand.
10. Stay healthy: In all the hullabaloo relating to GATE, it is not uncommon to find health related concerns pushed to the backburner. But if you don’t want to fall sick in the last few days of the exam, don’t play around with your health. Also, you can be at your sharpest only when you are in the pink of your health. So, pay attention to your health, smile a lot, enjoy life without going overboard, and be rest assured, success in GATE 2019 would come knocking at your door.
GATE College Predictor 2020 - Predict your colleges and courses in which you are likely to get ad...
GATE Cutoff for ME 2020 - IIT, Delhi will release the GATE 2020 cutoff for ME along with the decl...
GATE 2020 Syllabus for Civil Engineering consists of the topics and subjects that the candidates ...
GATE 2020 Syllabus for Electronics and Communication Engineering ECE - GATE ECE syllabus is divid...
GATE 2020 syllabus for Architecture and Planning (AR) will be provided by IIT Delhi for the candi...
As you are still in your 3rd year, you might not be still aware of the complete GATE syllabus. So analyse the topics and syllabus that you have learnt for the past 3 years and practise as much Mathematics as you can. Try as many mock tests as possible and get a hang of the exam pattern. Please check our page for syllabus, topics and best books for preparation:
Dear Harish, IIT Delhi has scheduled diiferent correction windows for different correction categories. The tentative dates to make corrections to your Category would be from the last week of October to 1st week of November. This is tentative and so please keep an eye on the official website. You can change your Category but you will not be refunded any additional amount that you paid towards your application form. For more information, please visit our page at:
Dear Pramod, IIT Delhi has closed registrations for GATE 2020 as on October 5th, 2019 along with late fees. Now the correction window has been opened. At this juncture, registering for GATE 2020 is not a possibility. You may have to wait until the next year if you plan on appearing for GATE. For GATE 2020, you have been late.
Your GATE brochure has been successfully mailed to your registered email id .
The Question containing Inaapropriate or Abusive Words
Question lacks the basic details making it difficult to answer
Topic Tagged to the Question are not relevant to Question
Question drives traffic to external sites for promotional or commercial purposes
The Question is not relevant to User
Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile