SDM College of Engineering and Technology, Dharwad
|Type||Autonomous institution affiliated to VTU|
|Principal||Dr. S. B Vanakudre|
|Location||Dharwad, Karnataka, IndiaCoordinates:|
Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara College of Engineering and Technology (also called SDMCET) is an autonomous private engineering college located in Dharwad in the state of Karnataka, India. It was established in 1979 and is affiliated under Visveswaraiah Technological University (VTU), Belgaum, Karnataka. The college is located at Dhavalagiri in Dharwad. Though the college has seen a good number of placements in recent years, it has been unable to attract any companies in core department as such civil, mechanical or chemical whereas some companies like TCS selection procedure is for all the branches hence other core branches are depends on it which is completely IT oriented.
- 1 History
- 2 Ranking
- 3 Academic programs
- 4 Placement Activities
- 5 Co-curricular activities
- 6 Infrastructure
- 7 Hostels
- 8 Events
- 9 Notable alumni
- 10 See also
- 11 References
SDM College of Engineering and Technology was established in 1979 and was affiliated to Karnatak University, Dharwad from commencement till 1998. Since then it has been affiliated to the Visweswaraiah Technological University (VTU), Belgaum. It is the first Institute in North Karnataka, India to get accreditation for all its courses by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), New Delhi.
It is one of the 14 institutions in Karnataka who have got funds from World Bank under Technical Education Quality Improvement Program(TEQIP) - Phase I. The SDMCET campus is also known by the name of Dhavalagiri.
- SDMCET was ranked 24th among the top 50 private engineering colleges of India published by Mint, exclusive partner of The Wall Street Journal in India.
- In 2012 it was ranked as the 62nd best engineering college in India by Outlook.
- The Week (Indian magazine) June 2017 Edition has ranked SDMCET as 91st Top Engineering College in India.
- Careers360 awarded SDMCET "AAA" in April 2016.
- Education World has placed SDMCET in 46th place as India's Top Engineering Colleges, and 9th place as Karnataka's Top Engineering Colleges in May 2016.
The college offers four-year (eight semesters) undergraduate degree course in engineering leading to Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) degree in following branches.
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics
- Electronics and Communication
- Information Science and Engineering
The college offers two-year (four semesters) graduate and postgraduate courses in the following specialisations:
- Computer-aided Design of Structures (Civil)
- Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
- Digital Electronics (Electronics and Communication)
- Engineering Analysis and Design (Mechanical)
- Industrial Automation & Robotics (ME)
- Information Technology (ISE)
- Power System Engineering (E&E)
The college has started an M.B.A. course.
The college has conducted placement activity for all its students. Some companies which have hired from SDM College of Engineering and Technology are TCS, KPIT, Mphasis, GlobalEdge, QuestGlobal, Amazon, MindCraft, Brillio, Informatica, INSZoom, Dell, CrimsonLogic, Intel, HashedIn, Infosys, Walmart Labs, Y-Media Labs, Robosoft, Samsung, Oracle, Mu-Sigma, Continental Automotive, Bosch, Cadence, Sankalp Semiconductors, JK Cements, MCF, Sony etc.
The college conducts training in aptitude and soft skill development for students in final and pre-final year for their placement.
The college has gained a huge reputation in co-curricular activities across Karnataka.
- Spinal chord
Each department or branch has its own laboratories as required by the curriculum. Every department has its own computer centre apart from the centralised one. The library has books and journals on subjects taught in the college. There is an auditorium to conduct cultural and other events. The college has a play ground, canteen, a cafeteria joint, bank, an ATM and a post office within the campus.
There are five hostels in the campus, three for boys and two for girls. Shalmala was the first hostel to be built and Narmada is the latest boys' hostel.
- Jnana Dhaare (Global Alumni Meet) : 22nd and 23rd December 2017.
- Insignia (A Techno-Cultural fest) is conducted every year in the month of March / April. During the fest, there are several technical and cultural competitions held. Also the grand evening is a live show by noted celebrities. Some such celebrities who have performed at Insignia are Aditi Singh Sharma, Darshan Raval, Siddharth Mahadevan etc. Insignia 2012 was graced by the presence of A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, The Missile Man of India.
- Fiesta (Intra-college Cultural Fest) is conducted every year in the month of October / November / December. During the fest, the students exhibit their talent in the fields of dance, music, instruments, skit, drama and other cultural activities. This helps in encouraging the students and helping them showcase these talents.
- Aravind Bellad, M.L.A. and businessman
- Pravin Godkhindi, Noted Flute Artist
- Shirish Kunder, Bollywood director
- Madanbabu Shastri, Director at Nvidia
- Rajessh Bhat, Producer at Bollywood and Businessman. Associate Producer for Salman Khan movie, Bajrangi Bhaijaan
- Praful Mungi, CEO and MD Mungi Group, Nashik, Pune, Zaheerabad.
- Anand G Naik, Entrepreneur, CEO and MD Boredbees Tech Solutions India Pvt Ltd. "Youngest Entrepreneur Award" 2013
- Sri Dharmasthala Ayurvedic college
- "About SDMCET". Retrieved 8 January 2008.
- "SDM Course Intakes". Retrieved 8 January 2008.