Engineering in North East
Updated on Mar 18, 2013 - 5:48 p.m. IST by Team Careers360

Fast Facts

 

While there are two NITs in the region at Silchar and Agartala with a combined intake of 1277 seats in 2012-13, IIT Guwahati was established quite early in 1994 which also offers a degree in Design, the only UG degree of its kind in an IIT. Assam with 10 institutes account for two-third of total UG intake.

 

Admission Procedure

While the admission to UG programmes in engineering varies from state to state, within the states too, the institutes have their own exam/criteria. However, to be eligible for appearing in any of these entrance exams, a candidate must be an Indian Citizen, and a permanent resident of the State. S/he should have passed the Higher Secondary Exam of the State HSC or its equivalent, usually with Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English securing a minimum aggregate of marks (which in most of the cases is 50% for general candidates, 45% for SC, and 40% for ST). Ten toppers in 10+2 Board/ Council Exam with a certain percentage are eligible for direct admission. In NERIST admissions are through NEE wherein 90% of seats are filled by candidates from eight NE states and remaining 10% from rest of India. 

 

State, Colleges & Intake

While Arunachal has one college offering 180 seats, Assam has 10 with 3375 students. Manipur, Meghalaya, Sikkim and Tripura have an institute each with an intake of 115, 420, 540 and 300 respectively. Three disciplines: Electronics & Communication; Computers and Civil account for 57% of total seats. Institutes with relatively larger intake are Sikkim Manipal Inst. of Technology, AEC and Don Bosco at Guwahati.

 

 

Applications Open Now

UPES -  School of Engineering B.Tech Admissions 2020
UPES - School of Engineering...
Apply
SRMJEEE 2020
SRMJEEE 2020
Apply
MANIPAL Institute Of Technology B.Tech Admissions 2020
MANIPAL Institute Of Technolo...
Apply
UPES M.Tech Admissions 2020
UPES M.Tech Admissions 2020
Apply
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham B.Tech Admissions 2020
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham B....
Apply
VITEEE 2020 - VIT Engineering Entrance Examination
VITEEE 2020 - VIT Engineering...
Apply
Lovely Professional University B.Tech Admissions 2020
Lovely Professional Universit...
Apply
View All Application Forms
Top
The question have been saved in answer later, you can access it from your profile anytime. Access now

Download the Careers360 App on your Android phone

Regular exam updates, QnA, Predictors, College Applications & E-books now on your Mobile

Careers360 App
150M+ Students
24,000+ Colleges
500+ Exams
1500+ E-books